Looking for a delicious and healthy, high-protein, high-fiber snack that will boost your energy levels? This is one of my FAVE go-tos. It takes only minutes to prepare and is a convenient grab if you’re on-the-go and need a quick fix in between meals. It’s also a great way to begin the day since its the perfect balance between healthy fats to optimize brain function, rich in fiber to kickstart the bowels, and protein for lean muscle mass. Since the only sugar it contains is raw honey or pure maple syrup, as well as dried fruit, this type of sugar can be broken down by the body and serve as a usable form of glucose (as opposed to refined sugars – more on this later!).
Oh and hosting anytime soon? This is also an excellent guilt-free “dessert” or party favor to serve your friends!
- 1 cup of dry oatmeal
- 1/3 cup of coconut chips (broken)/flakes
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup of raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of nut butter
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1/2 cup of ground flax (in the photo, you can see that I used whole flax. However, I prefer ground because it will be better absorbed by the body. Flax contains the highest plant-based form of omega-3, which gets converted to valuable EPA and DHA needed by the body).
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Raw cacao shavings (optional)
- Combine and stir all ingredients in a medium bowl until well mixed. I love using my hands because it tends to be faster, since the ingredients are quite sticky.
- Roll into 1 inch (by diameter) balls and refrigerate for 20 mins to harden.