Our Toxic World:
- The Environmental Working Group states that there are on average, 91 toxic chemicals in our blood (53 of these are linked to cancer, 63 of these are linked to brain diseases and 58 are linked to causing hormonal disarray)
- Time Magazine cites that there are over 4000 chemicals in our drinking water
- The problem with toxins is a) we can’t see them b) we tend not to worry about small doses, but they are bioaccumulating at concerning rates
- Seemingly non-concerning substances have infiltrated the air we breathe, the space we live in and the food we eat including: pesticides, car exhaust, gases, plastic, paints, glues, carpet off-gas, flame retardant protectors on couches and clothes, beauty products, hand soaps, laundry detergents (and we’ve barely gotten going!)….
- Now, compound the daily EXCESS of toxins with our stressful lives and our bodies are literally not functioning, we don’t even know how good we deserve to feel and ‘barely functioning’ (instead of thriving) has become the new normal
(While we hate to be the bearers of bad news, we promise we are here to offer hope, not bad vibes…. Keep reading!)
How Our Body Detoxes:
While our body is always naturally detoxifying, our bodies cannot keep up with the overload of toxins in today’s world. What happens is a literal back-log of chemicals that cannot be processed, and we start to feel these in the form of symptoms – brain fog, digestive issues, headaches, hormonal havoc and the list goes on. The body feels sick because toxins are literally interfering with the body’s natural healthy processes by poisoning the cells, replacing minerals and even modifying our genes. Here’s a 101 on the four main detoxifying organs that our cleanse focuses on:
The Colon ‘The Waste Remover’
The colon contains a lot of the body’s bacteria (good and bad). In fact, important links have been made between the health of your immune system and brain to the health of your gut, so you can see why it is important to ‘keep it clean’. If the colon is ‘clogged up’ it starts to cause a pipeline block, sending toxins back to the liver and kidneys because there is simply nowhere else to go. This is why it is important to cleanse the colon first as part of detoxification.
The Liver ‘Master Processor’:
The liver is the master filter for toxins and helps us to excrete certain forms of (fatty) toxins through bile. It is a complex organ and goes through what we call ‘Phase 1’ and ‘Phase 2’ detoxification. These phases of liver detoxification require strong nourishment through plant foods in order to help process and eliminate on to the next organ.
Dr. Joseph Pizzorno states that the liver may not be detoxifying properly if you have a) asthma reactions, b) adverse reactions to additives in foods c) cannot tolerate caffeine at night d) feel sick after eating garlic e) are intolerant to perfume f) you have a strong odor in your urine after eating asparagus. [Pizzorno, 2017]
The Kidneys ‘The Filtration System’:
The kidney works through a unit called the nephron which filters our blood and adds or removes substances to make sure that the body is kept in perfect balance. The kidneys are often called the detoxifiers of fluid and you can find their waste products filtered out in urine. The kidneys have all sorts of things they are responsible for detoxifying – hormones, salts, vitamins and metals are just a few examples.
Lymph and Blood ‘The Transporter’:
The lymph (composed of the spleen, various nodes and glands) has a very important job. Its fluid squeezes toxins and waste out of the cells and transports it out to the large detox organs (liver & kidney) to be eliminated. The lymph moves around the body to do its clean up job and then returns itself back into the blood.
The Solution: Detoxifying with the Power of Herbs:
Herbs truly are nature’s medicine cabinet. So we have especially designed these herbal teas to cleanse, replenish and restore using the healing properties of plants.
Cleanse the colon: Turkey rhubarb, ginger, fennel, cascara sagrada, red raspberry, golden seal, peppermint, licorice
Cleanse the liver: Milk thistle leaf, dandelion root, burdock root, globe artichoke, nettle leaf, gentian
Cleanse the kidneys: Fo-ti, plantain, parsley root, juniper berry, uva ursi, marshmallow, horsetail
Cleanse the lymph and blood: Red clover, poke root, Oregon grape root, burdock root, yellow dock, cleavers